Nunez Community College, Chalmette, LA
POSITION TITLE: Librarian—Reference and Instruction (part-time)
POSITION OPENS: August 19, 2003
REPORTS TO: Head of Public Services
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Supports the instructional program by assisting students, faculty,
and staff in the use of library services and resources. This includes
reference and research assistance, library orientation and instruction,
maintenance of the vertical file, and some collection development responsibilities.
- Works with faculty to provide course-integrated library instruction;
works with faculty to help students achieve information literacy
- Provides orientation to the library through class presentations,
tours, and individual instruction.
- Assists students, faculty, and staff in the use of library materials
- Assists in developing, maintaining, and evaluating the collections
to support the instructional programs, particularly for assigned subject
- May prepare bibliographies and other learning aids independently and in
conjunction with faculty for specific classes.
- Submits required reports to the Head of Public Services.
Reports to the Head of Public Services any difficulties experienced by
staff and users of various areas.
- Maintains the vertical file collection, ensuring the timeliness of materials.
Works with technical services on cataloging the subject headings.
- May be assigned other duties in keeping with the mission of the Institution.
FACULTY RANK: Instructor (permanent, non-classified employee)
HOURS: When classes are in session this position may be scheduled on Monday-Friday
from 8:00 A.M. – 12 noon and will be included in rotation with other librarians for Saturday
hours (8:30 A.M.-3:00 P.M.). Hours when classes are not in session are negotiable.
SALARY: $17.00/hour (no benefits)
- Master's degree from an ALA accredited program
or actively pursuing and within 12 hours of completion.
- Experience in reference and/or teaching.
- Experience with database and OPAC searching in a web environment.
- Understanding and commitment to Equal Access/Equal Opportunity.
- Ability to work in the diverse environment of a community college
and commitment to the college’s mission.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to use a standard keyboard, mouse, and computer monitor;
to move books onto and off of shelves; to move a book truck.
- Experience with SIRSI Unicorn iLink.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation computer programs.
Send application letter and resume to: Lisa Muilenburg, Head of
Public Services, Nunez Community College, 3710 Paris Road, Chalmette,
Nunez Community College, located 20 minutes from downtown New Orleans,
is a member of the Louisiana Community and Technical College System.
The library is a member of LOUIS: The Louisiana Library Network.
An ADA/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Return to the Positions Available Page
Return to the Nunez Library Home Page