|Director of Entreprenuership Center
This position is: Full Time
Salary: $50,000 - $60,000 commensurate with experience.
Position Location: Business Administration
Announcement Reopened. Previous applicants are invited to reapply.
Nature of Work:
The Entrepreneurship Center (EC) is sponsored by Nunez Community College and provides services and information small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs in St. Bernard and surrounding parishes in the Gulf Coast region. The Director provides business counseling and training directly to students/clients. The Director is also responsible for developing strong relationships with the business, economic development, university, and military veteran communities. Successful candidates must enjoy not only working with a wide variety of business types and issues, but derive satisfaction from helping others increase their opportunities for success. Other duties include designing a comprehensive marketing plan for program promotion, maintaining a budget, providing documentation of program successes, and working closely with community partners and organizations.
Salary is aligned with Federal guidelines for SBDC Directors. The Director reports to the Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement (VCIA) and has responsibility to other community entities.Professional Field: Director
Position is supervised by the Department Chair of Business Administration.
Position may supervise other staff or student employees.
General Duties and Expectations:
- Provides leadership for the Nunez Entrepreneurship Center, actively manages day to day operations, and supervises staff.
- Counsels, trains, and assists small business owners /managers in business development, maturation, expansion and exit strategy procedures.
- Takes leadership role in providing State, County, and local government agencies with information and reports regarding small business needs assessments, concerns, support services, and successes.
- Works with the SBA, Louisiana SBDC Network, SBDC Advisory Boards and other local/regional service providers to strengthen working relationships to better serve the local small business community.
- Collaborates with State, County, and local economic development organizations to determine and address the needs of small businesses in St. Bernard Parish and the surrounding Gulf Coast region.
- Develops and monitors program budgets and reports for quarterly and annual SBDC Reports, Memorandum Of Understanding, and provides fiscal oversight for the EC.
- Establishes and maintains an effective advisory committee in support of the EC program.
- Seek and apply for grants relevant to entrepreneurship and business development.
- Follows SBDC case management guidelines and provides timely reporting.
- Surveys clients quarterly regarding economic impact of services and tracks and reports outcomes to State and local stakeholders.
- Develops programming and support services for targeted industries and women, minority, TAA applicants, and veteran entrepreneurs.
- Recruits, evaluates, and coordinates volunteer and paid counselors and instructors.
- Engage in public relations activities such as, speeches, presentations, active committee participation, and direct discussions. Relevant audiences include bankers, colleges and universities, chambers of commerce, economic development authorities, government agencies, local political offices, civic organizations, and local media.
- Create marketing materials and manages/develops Nunezís EC website. Works with Nunez Community College staff to coordinate services.
- Develops, delivers, and administers self-supporting courses as assigned by Vice Chancellor and handles inquiries regarding the SBC classes
- Builds the framework for sustainability for the EC e.g., workshops, onsite and offsite training, business sponsorships, and the use of the Center as an incubator or resource space for startups.
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with those agencies and other organizations within the community/industry which are pertinent to the EC program and to prospective graduates
Curriculum and Academic Actions:
- Provides academic advising and counseling for prospective students of EC
- Provides effective and relevant instruction appropriate to level, needs and goals of students as needed
- Assists with curriculum development when needed and present recommendations to the Vice Chancellor
- Assists in the recruitment and retention efforts for the EC classes including outreach within the community and industrial location
- Reviews, evaluates, and assesses EC programs periodically, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development in keeping with the mission and vision of the College
- Remains current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities including attendance at off- campus activities, webinars, conferences etc., as feasible
- Participates in program, departmental and institutional meetings and other announced co-curricular activities of the College
Faculty & Staff:
- Guides the Support Staff assigned to EC in record maintenance as required by Nunez Community College and the LCTCS
- Provides ongoing professional development opportunities for EC faculty
- Assists EC faculty in developing instructional materials, instructional delivery, and classroom management
- Facilitates the communication of departmental and/or college information to EC faculty/staff via meeting, email, etc., as needed
- Work with Grant Coordinator, Director of Sponsored Programs, Restricted Funds Accountant, and CFO for maintaining all budget processes
- Recommends departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process with the Vice Chancellor and budget processes
- Coordinates the requisition of resources and services, including equipment, supplies, facilities and other materials required for the effective delivery of instruction
- Manages the EC budget, regularly monitoring the status of expenditures and implementing inventory control methods
- Submits annually the EC Annual Report for TAACCCT and NCC reporting
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000 commensurate with experience. This is a 3-year, grant funded position.
Master's degree in business administration, Entrepreneurship, Accounting, Finance or related field with a combination of 5 years experience and education. Applicants must have a good working knowledge of all the basic business functions to include financial analysis, business research and accounting.
Knowledge of SBDC programs and operating philosophy and/or relevant management experience is preferred. Three years of successful business experience in an ownership or management capacity. One year of experience in developing and implementing training programs in educational or other organizations. Experience with grant implementation, reporting, and close out. Fluency in a foreign language. Experience working with organizations of economic development.
To apply, send cover letter, resume/CV, philosophy of leadership narrative, copies of transcripts, and contact information on three-five professional references
Office of Human Resources
Nunez Community College
By email (preferred) firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax 504-278-6489
By mail 3710 Paris Rd. Chalmette, LA 70043
In person: Office of Human Resources, first floor library, Arts, Sciences & Technology Bldg
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by February 1, 2014.
ADA & EOE