INSTRUCTOR: Sociology/ Social Sciences
POSITION STATUS: Nine-month full-time position with benefits to begin August 2017. Summer classes optional.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach a full-time (15 credit hours per semester) Sociology and at least one additional Social Science content area.
- Teach on campus, online, and in Dual Enrollment high school courses as mutually agreed on.
- Prepare syllabi and develop curricula to address course and program student learning outcomes and General Education competencies as appropriate.
- Serve as academic advisor to students; post and maintain appropriate office hours;
- Serve on College committees as elected or appointed.
- Attend faculty, department, and committee meetings; recommend to the Department Chair suitable instructional material, textbooks, and library acquisitions.
- Participate in assessment of course and program learning outcomes and program review.
- Use technology effectively to communicate with students and colleagues and to enhance classroom learning as appropriate.
- Engage in professional development activities to maintain excellence in the discipline and in the classroom.
- Carry out other related duties as assigned by the Department Chair and the Dean of Academic Affairs.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Dean of Academic Affairs, Social Sciences Department Chair
Required: Minimum of a Masterís Degree in Sociology or a related Social Science with 18 graduate hours in Sociology.
Desired: Teaching experience at the college level, preferably at a community college; demonstrable use of materials and assignments designed to improve the writing and critical thinking skills of students; demonstrated ability to use a variety of teaching and assessment strategies to promote and evaluate student learning; ability to use information technology effectively; willingness to explore alternative pedagogies and participate in innovation at the institutional level; strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
To apply, send resume/CV, cover letter specifying the position, graduate degree transcripts, and contact information for three-five professional references to
Nunez Community College
Office of Human Resources
By email (Preferred. Put Sociology/Social Sciences Instructor in the subject line):† firstname.lastname@example.org
By fax: 504-278-6489
By mail: 3710 Paris Rd. Chalmette, LA 70043
ADA & EOE